Sunday, May 6, 2007

A picture is worth a thousand words.

There are two crowds in the online dating scene: those with pictures and those without pictures. Many feel threatened (understandably) to post pictures online due to privacy concerns (often related to employment or family). As humans we are trained to read faces and make split second judgements about a person--why else would two different people find the same person to be completely attractive and utterly repulsive? I think you should post pictures. Like it or not facial attractiveness is important in a relationship. I'm not being shallow, really. Think about it this way: if you approach me in a bar or other public venue (or POB for that matter) are you going to put a black box in front of your face so I can't see you? When and if I do see your face, I'm not going to feel any differently towards it based upon how soon I saw it. I'm still going to like it or not. Hundreds of people see your face everyday (at least if you work in a metropolis), so why does it matter that hundreds of people online see your face? Do you have something to hide? Are you embarrased by your profile? Maybe that's why you're still on dating sites and having trouble making meaningful connections with people, sexually or otherwise. Honesty is so important. If you're lying (aka hiding) online, then you're not only lying to your audience but also to yourself. Sooner or later it will catch up to you, no? You can show me now or later, but I'm going to see it eventually if you're going to be with me in any capacity...so drop the charade and post it. I want to see what you look like. Post/send me a face pic if you really want to know me.

Footnote: If you don't like my face pic already posted here on the right side bar give me your e-mail address and I can send you the original photo. It's only fair.

1 comment:

buff said...

Thanks so much, stud, for sharing your thoughts on my recent blog post. Yes, sneaking around has its consequences.

I really liked reading your recent post as well. And the face pic is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing.